Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Finding Balance

The Broken Line

A few weeks ago I was listening to a book while in the Studio. Okay, don’t ask me which one. I listen to a couple of books a week and cannot keep track with which one I was listening too at the time. Anyway, there were several profound statements, but the one that made me stop mid-stitch and write it down was that “fear can suck away our creative powers”. Wow, how I can relate to that one. With all the adjustments around my house right now, my creative juices have been sucked out, purified and poured down the drain. It has been a struggle to get back into the studio and “want” to do something.

Honestly, I have been able to complete two baby quilt tops for the Baptism Quilters at church. I am fortunate to be a part of a wonderful group of ladies and one of them is going to quilt the quilts for me. I just don’t have the will power to quilt anything larger than a 9x12.

Another quote from the book I was listening to was that our brains are our “Imagination Machines”. All artists can relate to that one. It is a great concept to ponder and concentrate on while I work. This past week things have mellowed out and I have been able to complete one 9x12 for AAQI (The Broken Line). I have two other art quilts that have been sitting on my board for three months that are growing on me and I have visions of completed pieces.

This week I am going to work on my “Imagination Machine” and finding balance in my life. My days don’t have to be all or nothing, they can be a balance of God-time, care-taking, administrative work and creative time. I hope you are finding this type of balance in your life too.

No comments: