Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Words

I've started working on writing the words on my shawl. It is turning out great, just the way I want. You can't really read the words from a distance and close up it is hard sometimes too, but that is the plan. My vision is to just be able to know that there are words there, surrounding the sunflowers, sort of an illusion, mystery of sorts, an obscure character. Using the Sky Mist color of fabric pen was a great choice. If I had gone with black or a more noticeable color, then the illusion would be gone and the background would take away from the sunflowers. I have selected Bible verses, inspirational words and poems referencing sunflowers and flowers to write on the shawl. It is really going to be extraordinary when it is complete. The inside of the shawl is going to be hand painted fabric, a weak watercolor image using muted colors from the front of the shawl. The thought of using a commercial fabric to back all the hand painting I had done on the front was going against my grain (okay, I had to stick a pun in there). Along with the hand painted backing I am also going to hand paint lace to put on the short ends of the shawl. I have looked through all of my lace stash, and of course, I don’t have the lace that I want! Isn’t that always the case?

No comments: