Well, I mentioned a few months ago that I am working on balance. Seems the blog is the one thing that falls off the plate when it gets too much on it. I can’t believe it has been 4 months since I have posted. Honestly, I am going to try harder to post about my work, especially now that I am spending more in the studio.
We are still madly in love with our little Oreo. He is bringing us such joy!
In the past few months I have been able to complete several projects and start a few more. The one main accomplishment is the Angel of Mercy quilt. This project started over 4 years ago. Delays with it range from Jeff’s Alzheimer’s disease, to packing, moving and unpacking, playing with grandchildren, starting more projects, and just needing to be in the right mood to finish quilting it. This isn't the best picture of the completed quilt. I had a hard time with lighting in my studio. Professional pictures will be taken next month.
After completing all of the thread painting in October, it took me until December to start the quilting. For me, quilting is personal and I really have to have a conversation with the quilt on how it wants to be quilted and with what threads. I knew I wanted to use silk thread, but which one? So I auditioned several on sample pieces and picked YLI White Silk #100. Lucky for me, the quilt store down the highway carries this thread. I ran out twice while I was quilting.
In July 2013 I made my first post regarding this quilt. It was first named “Down the Drain”, because the design originally came from dye powder in my dye sink. When my daughter looked at the quilt she told me to turn it sideways, because it is an angel. Agreed! Now, one of my grand-girls tells me it is not an angel, it is a horse. It’s an Angel.
Anyway, the post from July 2013 made me chuckle.
Angel of Mercy Process:
Original design came from dye in my dye sink. I had tested out either a black dye to see what colors might come out of it with ice dyeing. Loved the colors and the design, so I took a picture and started my creative thinking.
All hand dyed cotton and silk organza were used for this quilt. I faithfully fused with Misty Fuse®. Thread painting was with silk and poly threads. I love quilting with silk and the smooth texture it gives.
I learned from a SAQA meeting I attended a few years ago to keep a journal of my quilt designs with pictures and notes of the process. This has become very helpful, especially with these long-term projects and moving. I was able to go back and pick up the correct threads, needles and where I was in the process. It also helped me keep track of the hours I spent on the project. I’ve had people ask me how long it takes to make a quilt, and you all know “It depends on the quilt”. This way I can document and know.
Here are a few pictures of my notes and how I kept track.
Thanks for taking the journey with me. Let me know if you have any questions or comments!
Just incase you didn't know, besides my Etsy shop, I'm now on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter. #studiojulesart. Follow me!