Saturday, November 6, 2010

IQF, Directions and DAFA

It has been a busy week! I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Houston at the International Quilt Festival. I was able to meet up with a network of quilters I have met through the Internet networking and workshops that we have attended. And my two-day class with Katie Pasquini Masopust was awesome. I have always walked through the International Quilt Festival with awe and wonder of vision and construction. I have total appreciation for these quilters/artists. This year, was even more exciting for me since I had a quilt accepted into the “In Full Bloom” exhibit and a mini quilt in the SAQA booth exhibit.


Through the years, I have been taking steps to develop my “style” from traditional sewing (clothes, purses, craft projects, embroidery), to traditional quilting, to art quilting, to artwork. I have felt understanding and working in all these areas would awaken my “voice” and direct me to where I feel fulfillment with my work. Like many quilters and artists, there have been many struggles, frustrations and projects that I have placed in bins for another time; I have more ideas in my head than time. I can’t go to sleep for thinking and designing, I wake up early with new designs and/or an idea for one of the projects I’m working on. Don't get me wrong, I love my artwork and the paths I am taking with it. I experience great joy in the process of each project. Creating and watching fabric, paint and thread become a visual of something real going into the abstract. And part of this process is taking workshops with different instructors. It has helped me discern the directions and methods that create excitement and that I would like to explore and work with more. This past week has really touched a place in my artistic mind that will move my “voice” into the direction I’ve been seeking and will broaden my scope of artwork. Here are some of the pictures from my class with Katie PM. I’m looking forward to finishing the projects I’m working on and move on to the next brush strokes and stitches with my art quilts. I think my new motto will be "Move over Left Brain, the Right is taking over!" Thanks Katie!




After my two-day class with Katie, viewing quilts and a tiny bit of shopping on the vendor floor, I drove home to get ready for the Opening Night Reception of the Dallas Area Fiber Artists 2010 Annual Show. It was a wonderful night with my fellow fiber artists, their friends and family. The ArtCentre of Plano is a beautiful, restored historic home in Plano, TX. The artwork hung beautifully and everyone was thrilled with the venue and the quality of work. Our Juror/Judge, Amie Adelman did a wonderful job in choosing the collection and winners of the awards. Best in Wearable Art? Well, it was my Kimono Jacket! Here is a picture of me with my “Sunflower with a Passion for Color”. I was so busy (and tired from the drive) that I forgot to have my husband take a picture of me with my “Traditional Batik” quilt and the Kimono Jacket.



It was a productive and wonderful week. The networking, learning, fellowship and challenges are all priceless pieces to the journey. Happy Stitching everyone!

"Move over Left Brain, the Right is taking over!"

1 comment:

suzanengler said...

It was so nice to meet you in person and see your artwork.