Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Small Projects

This past Saturday I participated in a workshop put on by the Dallas Area Fiber Artists group. Lisa Renner was the guest instructor and boy did we have fun! It was a great way to let loose and experiment with inks, dyes, spray paints, rubber cement, gesso, stencils and rubber stamps. We learned a lot about layering color and had a great time encouraging each other. This is a great group, I'm so glad I finally decided to make the drive to Dallas once a month to join this group. It is well worth the drive!
Here are some pictures of my "Painterly Book" that I made. After I got home and embellished it some more, it just looked too flat. I added the fibers to the front, back and topped off my pen. I also added fabric to the pockets and the front and back. I just have to add fabric!

I couldn't resist making a little Art Quilt out of the scraps from my workshop with Frieda Anderson and Quilting Adventures. I just wanted a small quilt to explode with color with a few hidden items. A few of the men my husband works with proudly graduated from Texas A&M, and my brother and his kids proudly attended and attend The Univ. of Texas. Being the great sister that I am, I hid a longhorn in the quilt, and loving my garden the way I do, I also planted a flower in one of the corners. This little quilt will be in my ArtFire Studio if you are interested in it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jules, I'm looking at the small quilt you just posted, and see it doesn't have a name yet. It's a very powerful art quilt. Just for fun I thought of about 5 names in 10 seconds, like free association. It's a little wacky but the strongest associations for me were Forest and Musicians. BYW I found your site not through Fiber Focus where we are in the Art of Quilting group but through my Google Alerts. Gina Delorenzi

Jules Rushing said...

Gina, thanks for the comment and the search information! I did forget to post the name of the quilt didn't I? The name is "Color Explosion" and it reflects how I feel about color and my attraction to vibrant colors.